I make it a point every weekend to prep food for the following work week. Weeks are crazy around here so if I didn’t meal prep I would lose my mind. The last thing I want to think when I’m in a hurry is what we are going to have to eat. Dinners are usually easier to prep ahead of time, but having a hearty breakfast is something special. I like to start the morning with a smoothie, but now that it is colder out I sometimes want a warm breakfast.
These tacos are the perfect fix. They heat up in a toaster oven or microwave very nicely. I throw these tacos in the toaster oven while I’m in the shower then they are ready to eat after I’m out. Meal prep doesn’t have to be difficult or time consuming. This recipe comes together really quick so there’s no excuse to skip a healthy breakfast or hit the drive through. These breakfast tacos contain real ingredients and can be modified with whatever you have on hand. I love adding spinach to my egg scrambles because it is such an easy way to add a little nutrition. I used chicken apple sausages for this recipe, but you could use whatever kind you like.
Breakfast burritos are great, but these tacos are half the size so they are great if you want something filling and tasty without breaking the calorie count. They are also small enough to eat with something else like a smoothie or fresh juice. I wrapped these in foil and stored them in the fridge. The Mr. gave them two thumbs up.
I am always looking for ways to improve my day and make get in the right mind frame to take on my day. Here’s some things I’ve found that make my mornings easier and more enjoyable.
- Prepare stuff the night before. I like to set out my running gear and my work clothes the night before so I’m not rushing around like a crazy chicken in the morning.
- Prepare lunch and/or dinner. I’m too rushed in the morning to make up a lunch for me and the Mr. so it helps that I do it the night before. I also like to prep dinner if I have the time and at the very least pull something from the freezer so it can thaw.
- Take a couple minutes. Mornings tend to be hectic. First I get the miles in then I try to put myself together so I can get to work. With all that rushing I’ve found that I am so much happier if I take 10 minutes to read a few blogs and sip a cup of coffee.
- Make a list. Make a list of the big items you want to tackle for the day. Getting tasks written down helps me feel purposeful so I can check the items off my list.
- 10 eggs, beaten
- 3 cups organic baby spinach, chopped
- ½ onion, finely chopped
- 3 large chicken apple sausages, cut into quarters and chopped
- 10 flour tortillas
- ½ cup extra sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat a large skillet to medium-high heat.
- Saute sausage and onions until browned about 5 minutes. Set aside.
- Saute spinach until soft.
- Scramble eggs into spinach and cook thoroughly.
- Divide eggs and sausage mixture among tortillas and sprinkle with cheese.
- Wrap in foil and store in the fridge.
Do you meal prep breakfast for the week?
What’s your favorite breakfast on a cold day?