It is no secret that my sweet tooth runs the show. What the sweet tooth wants the sweet tooth gets. Since birth I have been a chocolate lover. In fact I don’t discriminate. I love white, milk or dark chocolate. My problem isn’t that I love chocolate, my problem is that chocolate isn’t a healthy enough food to eat daily. You can eat dark chocolate everyday. Blah blah blah. My hips and tush disagree.
Enter chocolate chia pudding. When I first tried chia seeds years ago I wasn’t too crazy about the little guys, but now I love them. They are great in smoothies, on salads, sprinkled on fruit, etc. but my new favorite way to eat them is this chocolate chia pudding. This is the best of both worlds. It’s vegan, refined sugar free and completely delicious. The Mr. was a bit skeptical when I gave him some, but after a bite he was a believer. I mean don’t expect this chia pudding to taste like a hot fudge sundae, but it is so darn good.
The best part about this pudding is that it doesn’t have to sit overnight in your refrigerator and you don’t have to wait hours for it to be ready. Who wants to wait on chocolate when you could enjoy it right away? This chocolate chia pudding is my perfect guilt free dessert or snack. I want my pudding and I want to eat it too.
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 3 tablespoons ground chia seed
- 4 dried dates
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon coffee extract
- dash of ground cinnamon and salt
- berries for serving
- Soak the dates in the almond milk for 30 minutes. In a high speed blender combine all the ingredients. Store in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes or until set. Spoon into serving bowls layering berries if desired.